Monday, January 22nd, 2007...5:05 pm
Cost of Vasectomy Reversal
I’ve posted before about the cost of a vasectomy reversal surgery, but today I want to delve into the subject in more detail. Quite simply, vasectomy reversal costs vary widely. While mine was $6,600, I’ve seen quotes ranging from $1,500 to $15,000. It is typically an expensive surgery and, as an elective procedure, insurance usually will not cover it (we got a little lucky on that one). So in the interest of making you a better informed consumer, here are some resources I’ve come across that quote fees:
- The cost of vasectomy reversal at the Vasectomy Reversal Center of New Jersey is $6,000, plus $150 for the initial consultation.
- Vasectomy reversal costs $7,500 plus $75 for an initial consult at Vasectomy Reversals of Texas. They bill this as “turnkey” costs
- The Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago cites vasectomy reversal costs of $10,000 to $15,000, including surgeon and hospital fees, even though most vasectomy reversal surgery is done on an outpatient basis these days.
- At the Michigan Urology Center, vasectomy reversal costs $8,081 with local anesthesia or $9,391 with general anesthesia, plus a $196 fee for the initial consultation.
- The Vasectomy Reversal Center of Florida lists their cost of vasectomy reversal at $3,900 plus a $50 consultation fee.
- At the Microsurgical Center of East Bradenton, Florida, a vasectomy reversal costs $7,000.
- Dr. Cary Leverett of New Braunfels, Texas, offers a low cost vasectomy reversal as part of a ministry, though his clinic does not discriminate on the basis of religion. His website lists a charge of $2,800 for a vasovasostomy with an extra $500 charge for a vaso-epididymostomy.
- Dr. David S. Wilson of Muskogee, Oklahoma, offers the lowest cost of vasectomy reversal I have come across — $1,500 with a guarantee!
Other vasectomy reversal costs
Other vasectomy reversal costs include travel costs and semen analysis. If the surgery location is far from home, you may need to stay in a local hotel the night before and the night after the surgery. Semen analysis may cost anywhere from $100-$300 each time you are tested.
A cautionary note on the cost of vasectomy reversal
The figures provided here are general estimates only. As I said before and as you can see, vasectomy reversal costs vary widely and will rise over time due to inflation. Regardless, do be careful to find out what is and is not included in vasectomy reversal cost estimates, and whether or not microsurgery will be done. These words of caution on vasectomy reversal cost from the Vasectomy Reversals of Texas website are worth heeding:
All potential reversal patients ask the cost and this is usually one of the most important factors in their choice of surgeon. Unfortunately, even this is often surprisingly complicated. Is the price given just the surgeon’s fee, or the surgeon and facility charges, or the entire cost including anesthesia? You must ask, if the services included are not clearly described. Do you remember the car dealer “bait and switch” trick? Several reversal surgeons are using it. A low price quoted initially is for local anesthesia in the office. This later turns into several thousands of dollars more for general anesthesia in an accredited surgical facility. A quality reversal surgeon and certainly one who is accountable for his results, will prefer and should require general anesthesia and an accredited facility without compromise. Meticulous microsurgical vasectomy reversals are rarely performed in less than 2 ½ -3 hours. The patient must be perfectly still the entire time. The most common reason for inexpensive vasectomy reversal surgery is “naked eye” technique. I’ve seen a $1,750 and $2,200 total cost advertised. This is for “naked eye” reconnections under local anesthesia in the doctor’s uncertified office. Price alone is inadequate. You must know the services included and those that are not included.
I hope you have found this helpful in estimating the range of issues involved and the cost of a vasectomy reversal.
[tags]Cost of vasectomy reversal[/tags]